Welcome to the Declassified Dollar!
If you want to learn more about personal finance and investing, then you’ve come to the right place. It all starts with 5 keys:
- Either you control your money or it will control you
- Keep a budget, and start telling your money where you want it to go
- Live below your means
- Give generously
- Start investing now and enjoy the power of compounding interest for years
If you’re currently struggling with money, don’t worry. The fact that you’re reading this blog means you’ve already taken significant steps in the right direction. Getting back on track will require discipline and time, but it’s completely possible if you follow the right process.
My Get Unscrewed Checklist
- Track your expenses for a month – you can’t control your money if you don’t know where it’s going.
- Make a budget – start telling your money where to go.
- Start an emergency fund – do whatever you need to do: cut back, have a yard sale, find a side job, anything, and save $1000 for yourself + $1000 for each member of your immediate family (spouse & kids) to cover an unexpected emergency.
- Pay off all debt except your mortgage – make extra payments and do this as fast as possible, starting with the highest interest rate and working down.
- Finish your emergency fund – save 3 to 6 months of your family’s living expenses in case you lose your source of income.
- Invest for retirement – start with employer matched contributions on your 401k, then max out your IRA for the year.
- Finish your mortgage – make extra payments and get debt free early.
- Invest in your kids – put money into their college accounts if you’re going to help them with educational expenses.
- Enjoy – Continue investing in taxable accounts, take your family skiing, go to the beach, get a motorcycle – enjoy the freedom that comes with being debt free!
Hopefully these tips help you out. If you would like to learn more about me, click on the “Get to Know Me” tab. Or, check out some of my most popular articles:
Thanks again for checking out The Declassified Dollar! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll respond as soon as possible. If you want to learn about new posts, click on the Twitter or Facebook logos below and connect on social media.